The Music Director of the Maple Leaf Singers will be retiring in 2018 after 17 years of service, and we are seeking a replacement. The ideal candidate would be mentored during the 2016-17 season, be appointed Assistant Director in 2017 and Music Director in 2018. Fee will be based on experience and responsibilities assumed.
Founded in 1968, we are a non-profit SATB show chorus of 50-60 volunteer adult singers, coming from all over the lower mainland. We hold regular Monday evening rehearsals in Burnaby from September to June. The 15-20 shows we perform throughout each year are at retirement homes, community centres, churches, and fundraising events, and include a variety of music including jazz, folk, rock, gospel, and Broadway tunes. Our accompaniment is either piano or recorded tracks. The highlight of our year is two performances of our Annual Spring Show at the Massey Theatre in New Westminster, complemented by original choreography, costumes, props and special acts. This year’s show, Movie Magic, is on May 28/29.
To experience the Maple Leaf Singers, click here for a video.
The following are the duties of the present Director. We are open to discussing and reaching mutual agreement on possible modifications to these duties.
- Conducts all rehearsals (full and sectional) and shows
- Leads committee for auditioning possible new members
- Leads committee for auditioning solo parts in selected choral music
- Ensures master tracks are created and practice files downloaded to the Members’ Website
- Leads Artistic committee for the selection of choral arrangements for Spring Show & Christmas programs
- Attends Music Reading Clinics to choose new choral arrangements
- Determines which songs will be choreographed, assigns those songs to the choreographers and determines who teaches choreography to the chorus
- Arranges and distributes riser position chart
- Arranges assistant/backup conductor when necessary
- Guides librarian regarding music inventory
- Provides report for Executive meetings and attends meetings when able
- Communicates with the Chorus Managers regarding rehearsal schedules, show bookings, spring show details, etc.
If you are interested in this exciting position or would like further information, please contact the Maple Leaf Singers Recruitment Committee at email@example.com.